CdeO Gov’t Did NOT Receive Foreign Funds – Nacaya

Councilor Ian Mark Nacaya, chair of the Oversight Committee, clarified during the last council meeting that the city government of Cagayan de Oro did not receive any donation from other countries for Typhoon Sendong victims.

In his special report during this morning’s regular session presided over by Vice Mayor Caesar Ian Acenas, the councilor cited announcements from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) about foreign donations coming in intended for Cagayan de Oro and Iligan, which were both badly hit by the Dec. 16 and 17 calamity.

The oversight committee has been holding weekly meetings and had invited national and local departments such as the Department of Social Welfare (DSWD), Department of Health (DOH), Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), and concerned City Hall offices in the aftermath of the typhoon, Nacaya said.

The oversight committee was created by the 16th City Council after the calamity to study, assess, evaluate and recommend rehabilation programs and all other concerns.

Based on its findings from the City Treasurer’s Office and City Accountant Office, no monetary assistance from foreign aid has been delivered to the city, Nacaya said.

The councilor proposed that an inquiry should be made about this for the interest of calamity victims.

Councilor Alvin Calingin supported the move citing that there had been inquiries from the private sector regarding foreign aid. He said this should be known so that the city can thank and acknowledge all foreign countries and groups that have generously given their support to calamity victims.

Calingin said the city still needs the donations even now.

For his part, Councilor President Elipe said several foreign visitors including a German ambassador came and said donations were given to the national government through the DFA. He said senators have also visited the city inquiring about foreign aid.

As representatives of calamity victims, Elipe said, the City Council should make the necessary inquiries.

Councilor Ramon Tabor said the intention of the legislative body is to know, to thank foreign donors and to report this to the people of Cagayan de Oro.


Source: The Power

Advertisements